Transformations are special abilities and moves given to the player in Pizza Tower.
First appearance: Pizzascape
Peppino or The Noise will roll like a ball, smashing everything in their way. While in this form, they can't do anything except jump, only gaining back control after contacting a wall. This transformation is the only transformation useable by The Vigilante.
First appearance: Pizzascape
(Gained from: Grabbing a sword)
Peppino or The Noise wear knight armor and are super heavy, causing enemies to be crushed when jumping on them. They will gain the ability to double jump, and can also ground pound using their sword. When touching a slope or a staircase, they will slide down it at high speeds, defeating any enemies and breaking any blocks in the way. While sliding, they retain the ability to jump and can cancel the slide using the ground pound. If they hit a wall while sliding, the slide will end. This transformation can only destroy Stupid Rats while sliding.
First appearance: Bloodsauce Dungeon
(Gained from: Touching a pool of boiling sauce or Peasanto)
Peppino, The Noise, or Snick will jump high up in the air and yell as his butt (Peppino), cape (Noise), or fur (Snick) burns until he hits ground. They can still move around slightly while jumping.
First appearance: Oregano Desert
(Gained from: Eating one of a Kentucky Kenny's spicy chicken wings)
Peppino or The Noise will spout fire out of his mouth. The player can move freely, but their jumps will be more slippery and harder to control. The attack button also can be used to dash in mid-air, and will grant a slight movement speed boost afterwards. In this state, they can explode TNT Blocks by touching them and defeat enemies.
First appearance: The Wasteyard
(Gained from: Coming into contact with a Mushroom Ghost)
Peppino or The Noise become a ghost and can fly freely, using the arrow keys. They are able go through Cheese Graters while also being invincible. In this form, they can also dash to move quickly, however this cannot hurt enemies, other than Grandpa, nor break blocks. Enemies also don't attack while he is in this state.
First appearance: Fun Farm
(Gained from: Picking up Mort)
Mort the Chicken perches on top of Peppino or the Noise's head. With Mort on their head, the player gains the ability to double jump, and can have him smack his head in 3 different directions, and also can use him to hook onto Mort Hooks for extra height.
First appearance: Saloon
(Gained from: Mounting a weenie mount)
Peppino or The Noise mounts a giant sausage and is allowed to run around freely at high speeds, defeating enemies in their way. In this state, they can't get hurt. Jumping in this state will cause the player to enter a long jump but will also make them dismount the weenie.
Peppino on Weenie Mount
The Noise on Weenie Mount
First appearance: Pineapple Beach
(Gained from: Walking into a barrel)
Peppino or The Noise gets stuck in (or outside) a barrel. It allows to walk around freely and start rolling instead of dashing. This can defeat enemies and break blocks. However, if there is a slope next to the wall while rolling, the barrel will change directions. The barrel itself can be grabbed and tossed around to different locations before using the transformation. This transformation is the only way to break Barrel Blocks.
First appearance: Space
(Gained from: Grabbing towards a rocket)
Peppino gets himself stuck to a rocket and is stuck rocketing forwards until he crashes into a wall, after which the rocket explodes and Peppino tumbles down. In this form, he can slightly redirect the rocket up or down by pressing the respective buttons, and if he's touching the ground, he can drift to change his direction. When The Noise obtains this transformation, he eats the rocket and becomes the rocket himself instead of getting pushed forwards by the rocket. This transformations can be cancelled out of by hitting a wall or jumping.
First appearance: Sewers
(Gained from: Getting stuck in a cheeseball)
Peppino or The Noise gets stuck in a cheeseball and will roll forwards until hitting a wall, which ends the transformation, and starts Sticky Cheese transformation. In this form, the player has absolutely no control, and will be launch upwards if they touch a slope.
First appearance: Sewers
(Gained from: Ending Cheeseball transformation)
Peppino gets covered in sticky cheese with pepperoni covering his eyes and green peppers covering his eyebrows and mustache. In this form, he is incredibly slow, but can stick onto walls, and jump off of them to perform walljumps. When The Noise obtains this transformation, the cheese covering him makes him look like a rat instead of a cheese monster.
Sticky Cheese Peppino
Cheese Rat Noise
First appearance: Factory level
(Gained from: Getting crushed by a Box Stamper)
Peppino gets trapped in a pizza box. In this state, he is able to go through small gaps at a faster speed than crawling. It also grants him ability to flap ten times in the air before dropping to the ground. The grab attack is replaced by a spin attack. If he touches a dashpad, he moves faster and will glide when jumping. When The Noise obtains this transformation, he simply just shrinks in size instead of getting trapped in a pizza box.
First appearance: Kids' Party
(Gained from: Interacting with a gun crate)
This is considered as more of a powerup rather than a transformation. Peppino equips a single-barrel shotgun, while the Noise handles a minigun - both weapons replacing their regular weapons, the pistol and the Noise Bombs respectively. This gives them the ability to destroy Target Blocks. However shooting results in some knockback.
First appearance: Kids' Party
(Gained from: Being caught by a Toppin Monster in Pizza Time)
This is the only transformation considered to be nothing more than a hindrance. Peppino will get trapped inside an animatronic shell and lose points en masse. He won't be able to do anything other than walk at a very slow speed, and jump at a very low height. The player will have to wait until he breaks free.
First appearance: The Ancient Cheese
(Gained from: Picking up a bomb tossed by a Pizza Box Goblin)
Peppino, The Noise or Snick will hold a bomb and start uncontrollably running around until the bomb explodes, which ends the transformation. In this form, the only actions that can be done are jumping, turning around and throwing the bomb forward, which ends the transformation until you pick it up again. This transformation is one of the only ways to break Bomb Blocks. The bomb is still in game, but it no longer causes the transformation when picked up, being more of a grabbable item instead, still usable to destroy Stupid Rats.
First appearance: Oregano Desert
(Gained from: Pizza Car)
Peppino rides a pizza box car, inside which he can only move forward and jump. The transformation ends after bumping into a wall.
Pizza Car Peppino
First appearance: Mansion level
(Gained from: Entering a clown tent)
Peppino turns into a clown stuck in a clown car and is forced to drive forward without stop, running into any enemies along the way. While in the clown car, he can jump and climb up walls, as well as crouch down to fit through tight spaces. When bumping into the wall, there is a rebound that pushes the clown car back. When The Noise obtains this transformation, he turns into a different type of clown and rides a scooter instead of a clown car.
Demo 1 ending room
All transformations, besides Hungry, can be seen in the "ending" room of Demo 1. PTG had listed the uses and mechanics for most of the transformations shown below during a conversation in the Pizza Tower Discord, on November 2nd, 2018. The descriptions shown here are his own words, however, additional information has been added for extra context.
- Meteor Peppino: "Sends you flying in a direction. If you hit a diagonal wall, you bounce off. Otherwise you just stop on a wall. Can destroy metal blocks."
- Activating it would have depended on an unused enemy named "Muscle Pizza" that would punch the player into this state.
- Animatronic Peppino: "Makes you a sluggish and play music that can put some enemies to sleep. Hit spikes to come back. Spike does their usual job."
- The plan for the transformation had been revised later on to act more as a hindrance rather than an actual transformation, only slowing Peppino down. It has since been re-added, with the added penalty of rapidly losing points while transformed.
- Caffeinated Peppino: "Makes you go really fast without being able to charge until you are hit and drop your coffee. Used to get through falling platforms that requires high speed instantly."
- An unused enemy known as "Cool Kid" would've activated the transformation by throwing energy drinks at the player.
- Spinny Peppino: "Makes you spin, go real high then float back down spinning. Stun you for a second when landing."
- Superhero Peppino: "Makes you fly anywhere and destroy metal blocks when running into them at high speed. Spikes."
- Hungry Peppino: "Makes you follow [an aroma] like a cartoon character, doesnt stop until you reach the food."
- Shy Peppino: "Makes you unable to charge, slow. Spikes."
- Would have been activated when in contact with the unused Pizza Lady enemy.
- Muscle Peppino: "Makes you able to destroy everything."
It seems that the other three transformations were scrapped earlier on, as there had been no mention of them during that conversation.
- Many of these are based on transformations in the Wario Land series, which is fitting for a spiritual successor.
- The Knight transformation is based on Fat Wario.
- The Bomb transformation is based on Flaming Wario. Earlytestbuild even has its music play when activated.
- The Firebutt transformation is similar to Electric Wario from Wario Land 3. It's unknown if this was on purpose or just mere coincidence.
- The Ghost transformation is based on Bat Wario from Wario Land 4, or Vampire Wario's bat form from Wario Land 3.
- The Barrel transformation was initially based on Snowman Wario, but as stated below, the final version is now very different.
- The Cheeseball transformation is based on Frozen Wario.
- Peppino's Boxxed transformation is visually similar to Flat Wario, but is closer to Tiny Wario from Wario Land II in terms of function.
- The Noise under this transformation looks to be conceptually identical with its Wario Land counterpart.
- The Sticky Cheese transformation is based on Zombie Wario.
- Weirdly enough, the Ball transformation is not based on any transformation, but rather Wario's Roll move from Wario Land 4.
- To add to this, Peppino's super jump functions similarly to both Flat Wario and Spring Wario, for aiming the jump and launching into the air respectively.
- Originally, many transformations had different functionalities:
- The Knight transformation originally was able to walk on slopes normally.
- The bomb wasn't able to be thrown during the Bomb transformation.
- The Firebutt transformation originally had an animation that played after landing. The player also could not move while airborne.
- The Firemouth transformation originally had the player walk around uncontrollably and could destroy only TNT blocks and the transformation lasted only nearly 10 seconds, after which getting milk animation was played automatically.
- Later on, the transformation could originally shoot fireballs, which were needed to destroy TNT blocks and light up haybales instead of just running into them.
- The Mort transformation's slower descent originally wasn't controllable and was forced. Also Mort could be removed by reaching corn.
- The Barrel transformation at its oldest point in development would rather start rolling when colliding with a banana peel, and was able to float on top of water (water itself also ended up being reworked.). Later on it was completely reworked to behave more like the Ball transformations, rolling uncontrollably but switching directions in contact with slopes. It has now been reworked to be more similar to its initial concept, with a few differences.
- The Sticky Cheese transformation could only scale vertical conveyor belts and end by touching an outlet. Later in development, it was able to scale walls and move on them freely without having to wall jump. It could also squeeze through tight gaps without having to crouch.
- The Barrel transformation was the first transformation made for the game, originally being made during the development of Preearlytestbuild.
- The Rocket transformation was originally planned to be a Jetpack transformation before it was sprited.
- The Clown transformation used to be a Skateboard transformation, but this was scrapped.
- Noise's Ghost transformation bears a resemblance to the Boos from the Super Mario series.