"Vigilante is Above the Law. When you're a sharpshooter, nobody gets out of your crosshairs."
The Vigilante is a Cheeseslime wearing a cowboy hat. He is the grandson of John E. Cheese, the former owner of Fun Farm, which he now owns. While usually a softie who cares about his family and his farm, during the events of the main story, The Noise wrecks his farm and takes over it, and later Peppino accidentally burns down the farm while trying to stop him, leaving his family to be homeless, which led him to become very angry and grudgeful. This then leads him to go on a quest to get revenge and repair his farm by finding various farm materials.
Vigilante is currently the boss of the 2nd world.
Vigilante's boss behavior early in the fight has him trying to keep some distance from the player, with the use of his pistol and dynamite, and parrying when the player gets close. As the fight progresses, he proceeds to use more attacks the get him close to the player, such as his ground pound and uppercut, and his various kick moves. At the end of the fight he challenges the player to an old fashioned western duel.
Unlike the other 2 playable characters, The Vigilante has a health system and is unable to use any transformations besides the Ball transformation.
The Vigilante grows boots and starts running. Like Peppino, The Vigilante can run up walls when reaching Mach 2 or higher and can also use the rolling and diving moves. However, he cannot ram into any blocks and is forced to use other methods to break them instead.
By pressing the shoot key, The Vigilante grows a hand and throws a stick of dynamite that explodes after a short period of time. The dynamite can notably break metal blocks, with it being the only way he can do so. It can also break bomb blocks as a way for him to get through levels featuring said obstacle, due to the fact that he can't use the Bomb transformation.
Holding down and pressing the shoot key will cause him to throw the stick of dynamite right next to him.
If The Vigilante touches a stick of dynamite he throws out, it will explode and he will jump very high, similarly to a super jump. However, unlike a normal super jump, The Vigilante has more horizontal control when using it and the move doesn't infinitely go upwards, with there being a set distance. If he runs into his dynamite while running at higher machs, he will get a much bigger jump from it.
Instead of a grab, pressing the grab button will cause The Vigilante to grow a hand and be able shoot bullets from his gun at enemies, similarly to Peppino's gun in the GOLF demo. He can shoot both while grounded and in the air. The bullets shot from the gun can break most basic blocks, besides the metal blocks, but it can also notably break target blocks as well.
Holding the grab key will cause Vigilante to prepare his gun, leaving him motionless unless the key is let go.
Like the other two playable characters, The Vigilante can ground pound, but instead of using his body to slam down onto the ground, he grows a hand and punches straight downward with his fist.
Grabbing any type of Pizza Points will heal a certain amount of The Vigilante's HP, with bigger collectibles healing more HP, while smaller ones heal only a small amount of HP.
The Vigilante can taunt like the other two playable characters, but he will look very angry at the player for making him do so. Because of this, he cannot super taunt, meaning he is unable to screen wipe with a taunt.
Slide Kick (Unused)
The Vigilante's equivalent to Peppino and The Noise's slide attacks, where he kicks forward with his boots, can only be done during a dash.
In the comics
The Vigilante appears in The Bad, The Ugly, and The Even Uglier comics.
In The Bad, The Ugly, and The Even Uglier, he is the sheriff of a western town and is first seen while Pepperman was attacking the town. After Pepperman barges into his building and asks if he was the sheriff of the town, he quickly surrenders. Afterwards, he is seen tied up alongside the banker of the town while Pepperman and his troops were robbing the bank. However, soon after, while Pepperman was plotting to set up camp at the town, he escapes and attacks him. It is unknown what he does after attacking Pepperman, as the comics haven't been completed yet.
- The Vigilante, then known as Cowboy Cheeseslime, was originally created as a mod for Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch. PTG was feeling tired of drawing Peppino, so he opted to do a Cheeseslime with a cowboy hat instead. He ended up liking him enough to make him an important character in the main game.
- Before it was revealed that The Vigilante would be a playable character, Pizza Tower Guy had been teasing a third playable character for around a week in the Discord server with a picture showing 4 possible characters it could be, those being Gustavo, Pepperman, Snick, or The Vigilante, then known as Cowboy Cheeseslime, and gave various hints to who it could be. These hints included:
- Already exists in Pizza Tower lore
- Inspired by an old actor
- A band that's relevant still has a popular song relating to the actor and/or character
- The "inspired by an old actor" hint refers to Clint Eastwood, while the "band that's still relevant" in question is Gorillaz.
- Doesn't play video games
- One interesting thing of note about this image, is that Gustavo was originally playable in Pizza Crawler back before Vigilante and Snick were made, and long before Pepperman had playable code made. As of right now, Gustavo is the only one in the image not playable in some fashion, despite being the first one to get some form of playable appearance.
- The Vigilante currently uses Pesto Anchovi as his escape theme, and The Noise's Jam Packed Anthem plays during the Entrance stage as placeholders until his real escape theme and Entrance themes are completed.
- An MM8DM mod called Grand Classes, both add Peppino and Vigilante as playable characters, though Vigilante uses the same sprites as the original skin mod, he has a move revamp, making his moves the same ones as from Pizza Tower, that being his revolver and a stick of dynamite which can be used to get height or a slight speed boost.
- When the player is playing as the Vigilante, all Pizza Points change to pepperonis. This is simply meant as a placeholder for the collectibles he collects.
- During one of the Vigilante Spriting Streams, The hit ceiling animation's last frame for Vigi was re-used to jokingly make Kirby. (Highlight on PTG's Twitch channel.)
- It has been said that Vigi's full name is Vigert Ebenezer Lantte, shortened to Vigilante.
- The Vigilante is very unstable in co-op mode. As he doesn't have his code fully finished and is missing some sprites, various bugs can occur, like his HUD icon staying in the same spot no matter who gets control over the camera/flag or crashing the game, so it's not recommended to use Vigilante in co-op as of the latest build (April 2021).
- The player can softlock themselves by "rolling" into a destroyable block.
- Ditto to Pillar John.
- If the player switches to Vigilante while Peppino or Noise hold a weapon, the Vigilante will bug out and use Peppino's sprites. Pressing Shoot will cause the Vigilante to softlock, forcing the player to restart the level.
- When a timed gate timer is on the screen, Vigilante's health counter also goes red.
For more images, see the gallery here: The Vigilante/Gallery